Monday 7 September 2015

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, LET'S SAY IT'S GOD

At times I get scared

Caring for a young one can be a monumental task, she cries, then you are left guessing, first if she is heavily dressed, you start taking off her clothes one by one only to realize she is raising her voice twice.

It is roughly an hour past midnight, the noisy neighbours have all turned off their music systems, Umoinner Buses are retiring to garages, some already I guess have been parked in Petrol Stations. Bars in the estate are fast in the mood. The Dj is playing Madilu System's Ya Jean.  It is Friday night. I am still on my maternity leave. Home alone.
Shun at three months and some days

Let us call my baby Shun, a short form for her name Shuneta. Shun continues crying. This time throwing her legs on the air. I light up the room and reach for Bonnisan. Bonnisan is a type of syrup given to babies to relieve gastrointestinal disorders i.e colic and gas. I measure 2.5 ml with my left hand while holding her with my right arm. I chant a song by Cedarmont kids, We are going to the mansion on a happy day express, the letters on the engine are J-E-S-U-S, it does not sink into her.

The tussle

Shun is a hater of medicine. She never wants even the smell of it. So I force it into her mouth and she vomits all of it. I believe and pray that the small amount that got into her stomach relieves whatever is aching her. Finally, I discover that all she wanted was a diaper change. It was soaked. For a whole 3 hours we have been tussling only to find out she only needed a diaper change. If only children spoke! God, why?

1 comment: