Monday 19 October 2015

WHEN I BECAME A MOM, A LOT CHANGED...



My Physique

I used to be this slender girl in my teen years. Now I am big, not so big but I have learnt to accept and embrace my body. The changes that have happened since I gave birth, the stretch marks (I am going to write a whole page on stretch marks on my next blog post). I understood the real meaning of having breasts like mine. See here.

Every day is a surprise

Every day is a surprise. Yes it is. Today the baby was staring at you the next day she is mumbling the mamama and bababa words. Yesterday she was crawling, tomorrow she is up on her feet.

You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself

This happens a lot, every time we stare at the mirror, I look at her face instead of mine. It is so cool. It melts my heart.

I dropped few friends

My phone-book was full, even the phone had jammed saving more contacts. When I finally gave birth, I realized that half the people on my phone-book were just mere-friends, whom we do not share same interests. One by one I did away with them. So, nowadays, mostly my phone contacts read as Mama Joy, Mama Andy, Mama Sam etc the list goes on and on.

I reason differently

Since I am a certified mom now, the way I think changed instantly. I give things a deeper look. My decision gotta impact two lives. Mine and baby's.

I am more loving and caring 

Motherhood has taught me to handle and care for the baby with utmost love. Babies can be delicate when they contact a cold. You need to be there for the Little One to clean her nose, ears, and change their diaper.

I have become a time manager

No time is wasted. I know when I wake up at 5.00 a.m. , I have to fix her porridge or cereal, feed her, take a shower, put her to sleep, change her diaper, dress up, all in an hour, then go to work.

Taking shower is a luxury

When you have a young one, you will come to terms that showering is a luxury. You may put the baby to sleep, then, as you are readying up to shower, clothes off, the baby wakes up with a loud scream, so you have to choose between having a bath or attending to the baby. Sometimes you will have to bathe hurriedly when you have the chance to.

You don't mind going to bed late 

I sleep at 10 p.m. everyday no matter how early I try to feed the baby. She is usually fed at 7 p.m. But she stays active until 10 p.m. It's not a big deal. As the babies grow, they tend to get active most times during the day. They sleep less during the day.


The bye-kiss

Leaving for work in the morning is hard. If she is awake I have to tell her sweet words such as bye sweety, miss you already, see you in the evening, be a good girl, etc. Saying good-bye can take time even if it means I do not catch the morning bus because I was kissing my darling daughter, it is ok.


The extra kilos, which seems to go nowhere, are worth having when I look at her

Every morning when I look at the mirror, I see stretch marks, black tiger stripes, I love them because I cannot change them. They are part of me. And it is because of them I have my daughter.

Redefined inner strength

When she popped out, I knew I became a superwoman. The labor pains were horrible. But her face was beautiful enough to remember the birth pain.


I stopped being judgmental

Instead of giving parents of a screaming child a 'Can't-they-shut-him-up?' look, you give them this look 'I-know-the-feeling'.


I believed at love at sight

When I first laid my eyes on her, I fell in love. As days go by, I fall in love with her again and again.

I started getting heartbroken when I watch news, esp emotional ones. 

Stories that appeal to human nature have done me harm because I give them a mother's perspective. For example, what if a pedophile harms my child?


I want to be safe always, just for my baby

I always take every precaution because the consequences will affect both of us. For example if I drive recklessly, I will end up in a cell and my baby will miss me for the night I will be behind bars.


I am fearless

I stand up for what I know is right. I speak out. I have a strong will. Unstoppable. I want to reach my limits. It is not over. I know as long as I am alive, my story is not yet over.

We share everything

I cannot drain a whole mug of water alone when my daughter is around, she wants some. Everything, literary everything.


I am doing a great job

This quote sums it up all.

Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.

Cheryl Lacey Donovan



No comments:

Post a Comment