Tuesday 27 October 2015

PARENTS WITH CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS, THEY DESERVE LOVE AND SUPPORT



1 Thessalonians 5:18: Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


It is some minutes past 3 p.m. The day’s goals have been achieved. Yippee! I am heading home. As I walk towards the stage I notice some two mothers, carrying their children on the shoulder on one hand, and on the other hand, they are carrying a wheelchair each. Two walk past me. It is Friday. Buses are hurriedly picking and dropping passengers. Friday it is; they are competing against each other to get that extra coin. Of course it is a good thing to get more. Much more money, having money is a good thing.


Kilimani Primary School, Nairobi is a unique school. In its system, it has incorporated students with disability, mostly the deaf, blind and handicapped. It is situated in along Argwings Kodhek road few metres from Yaya Centre. It is one the only two schools in Nairobi where children with disabilities are offered a chance to develop their potentials in a conducive environment.


 So the bus I am in, enters a mother, who just exited Kilimani Primary School. On her back, she has carefully strapped her baby girl on her back. She sits next to me. Three metres away, I come to terms that the radio in the bus is playing songs. It plays some infamous gospel songs. She unstraps her baby and puts her carefully on her lap. Then Christina Shusho's Nina Wimbo plays suddenly. The woman starts chanting the song. I listen to her as she deeply sings the word, she means it. the woman has already endured enough with her disabled girl. Nina wimbo, wimbo….. .Mimi nina wimbo, wimbo, mwenzenu nina wimbo. Wimbo wa sifa, wimbo wa shukrani. She continues Jehova, Jehova, Jehova.. Tabibu. From my heart I just feel this lady is thanking God for the life of her kiddo. No matter what, she is still strong in the Lord.


This brings me to talk about my brother. Brother number two. I don't fully know and understand how it feels to have a child with special needs but my mama does. As brethrens across the globe make their wishes to God, my prayer is that, may the parents with children with special needs have the strength and will to press on in their daily hustles.



1998 was a year that Kenya had one of its dark moments in history. The bombing of United States Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania saw at least 200 people killed and more than 1,000 injured. The bombings took place within minutes of each other at around 1030 local time. 

This is the year my mother’s protruded belly was to burst open and behold! A baby could come out. By that time I was circa four years. Already into my pre-school. The fourth member of the family was around the corner. We could get a chance to drink soda, eat sweet bananas and get to hold our new-born baby. What a joy!


The big day came knocking; my cousin accompanied my mother to the hospital. A hospital in the neighbouring province, Rift Valley. She stayed two days in hospital, the third day she came home. On the way, the unexpected happened. They had a nasty accident. A cow was crossing the road when a driver coming from the opposite direction tried not to hit the creature but came head on collision with the vehicle my mum was in. At the time of the incident, my cousin’s upper lip ripped. People who were in that matatu sustained severe injuries while others’ breathe was cut short.

LIFE AFTER THE ACCIDENT

My mama sustained minor injuries. She recounts the incident as so dreadful. She says that she feared for her little bundle of joy. As of today, a victim of the accident is circa 18 years and has never spoken, as a result of the accident. My mum has been strong all way. First, after the accident, the baby was just okay in appearance but he sustained internal head fractures. Something, we came to realize way too late. Doctors said the baby was too young for an x-ray to be conducted on him. So some scans were run that showed his brain was affected. What’s the solution? Medics seemed to be relaxed on this issue.

We sought traditional help. My bro has taken way too much herbal medicine. Only God Knows. Herbalists one after the other have promised to have him cured through traditional ways, but all in vain. Being the Christian my mum is we sought help and comfort from God. We could assemble every evening sing a song, pray, say the grace, shake hands then greet the blankets. My brother, William, never crawled, he moved with his butt. He had convulsions most of the times. (Tears)


Convulsion after another brought about epilepsy. He could fall down, eyes white, stiff body, drooling, and would bite his tongue. This happened a couple times. The first time it happened, I guess my bro was around a year and half or younger. He fell down with a thud and eyes turned out then started biting his tongue. You should have seen my mum scream, I was beside her, some passers-by ran to help her. They held him in some position, put a spoon in his mouth to avoid him biting off his tongue. After recovering from the convulsions, he seemed so tired, worn out, sick.


Kama kuna mtu ameona shida, mamangu hakosi kwa hiyo list. Since 1998, she has never left the side of my bro. Being a teacher, was a plus for her since she always tags my bro along. My bro was enrolled in a special school. He now learns life skills, how to cook, how to be a good man etc. Sometimes I worry for my bro, will he marry? How will it be for him as a man? I ask myself a lot of questions. But all in all, I thank the Almighty for the gift of life. As long as he is alive, his story is not yet over. 

THE TRADITIONAL CURE

I came to the city. Full of life. In full swing to start off that campus course. My all-time dream career. To become a Journalist. I have wanted to become a Swahili journalist. I love Swahili. I love sports. Maybe someday nitatangaza mpira.  Or somewhere in Radio Citizen or Radio Maisha host a show that plays rhumba, soukous and lingala. May my dreams come true. God, send me an Angel.
I am a social person. But my face does not show it. People say I am quiet. My voice is thin. Living in a single room can be hectic, one step uko kitchen, another step bedroom, another one lands you on the study. Since its boring to see the same things over and over again, I make friends. Occasionally we could hang at each other’s house. Our nature as women, we share and talk of almost about everything. 

On this day, it was a Friday. Friday is a big day for Seventh Day Adventist flock. Mama Junior, Susan (her name), and I talked on something that changed my bro’s life. I narrated her a whole story on how my bro was ailing and how he had used even the last dime to get cure but in vain. She also told me that, her son, Junior, when he was young, had convulsions but through the help of a herbalist, had his cure. 

She gave me her mother’s number so that I may get in touch with my mother so as to contact the herbal doctor. 

I called my mother. The healing process started.

Parents with children with special needs need not to be looked down upon. They desire to be appreciated. They need your support. Your love. Time. Money. Prayers. Kindness. The struggles they endure in their day-to day activities have made them persistent. Please treat their disabled children well. I encourage you to participate on this Run For Charity Events. You can save a child's life.


Part two continues.....

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment