Friday 15 April 2016

BEWARE OF ROADSIDE VACCINES

Being a mum at my early twenties was the best thing that ever happened to my life. It meant that I could no longer meet up with friends at any time just like that without prior planning, and even though I plan, something would come up prior to the meeting. This translates to no partying. No alcohol. It's a plus for me since i neither party nor drink alcohol. Besides, I know motherhood spirit lies in me. The compassion and love mother Teresa had for humanity is all in me.


Motherhood and staying at home mums isn't as boring as some people have portrayed it in the past. It may be a routine, waking up at 6 am or 7 am and sleeping at 10 pm. Daily routine such as preparing breakfast, changing diapers, cleaning soiled nappies, clipping toe and finger nails, folding clothes, bathing the baby, and ensuring the safety of the baby may seem so boring but trust me every day is different.

Watching your baby's development is magical. Today she's crawling tomorrow she's trying to walk while supporting herself on the table, the other day her first tooth appeared...tomorrow could be something else. Maybe she'll call out your name...how about you calling her one day only to hear her first response? Yes mom...

The other day I had the most trying time of my life as a new mum. It is 10 pm. What started at 3 pm in the evening as a simple cough would result to a very bad fever. I thought to myself I could fix the coughing thing. I prepared lemon, ginger, saumu, honey and gave it to her to relieve the coughing pain.  At 10 pm and in the remotest part of Kinoo means that no shop or chemist is open. That translates to no mode of transport to and from the main stage. Her fever is so high. I don't have even have a single medicine in the house. Not even Calpol.

Flashback, on Sunday we were at church and she was vaccinated against polio, something I am never used to. Initially, I had to go to hospital in order to get the vaccine. I'd never believed in such stray vaccines. So, the vaccine was administered to her. But I still wasn't to terms with it.

I didn't have even a single minute to log into Google and find out a remedy for fever. All the time I was wondering what way to get this kiddo relief. I held her in my arms. With a cool piece of cloth on her forehead. In ran through my phone's contacts and my nearest friend who we talk often about baby issues lives miles away. I was alone with the baby. The fever was going so high in minutes. I called a Mama Joy, her baby and mine are months apart. Maybe she'd have some medicine because she never lacks it.

I call her phone twice and she isn't picking. She's in the kitchen cooking maybe, I tell myself. At that time, my daughter is rolling on the sofa restlessly. She opens her eyes and closes them quickly, sometimes, she throws kicks, I undress her completely and try to call Mama Joy again, this time she picks and I glady head to her door to pick the medicine. From the way she says the medicine helped her daughter get well in a matter of few hours. I raise my hopes and pray that Atieno will be well. On arrival at the house, she's just sleeping and the heat on her body is just way beyond normal. She's at 39.1°C. I cried when I saw the thermometer reading. I was broken. How could such a young beautiful soul be tormented by fever worse still at 10 pm in the night when I cannot take her to the hospital since the nearest is closed and it's miles away??

I give her the medication and she eventually goes back to sleep after fighting for a while. Children and medicine might not be the best friends. In the meantime I had contacted a friend of mine in Umoja, Nancy, so she was just wondering how Atieno is faring. After about one hour after the temperature dropping to 38.5°C I began feeling a relief. Soon she was back at 37°C. I dressed her and tucked her in bed. Sigh.

I couldn't wait for the next day to take her to hospital. I just realized how important it is to always have baby medicine in the house.

Through and through I thanked God for saving my baby's life through a neighbor friend.

So the next time someone comes knocking at your door to vaccinate, your baby, think twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment